Tuesday, July 21, 2009

If Your Art Were Music, Whose Music Would it Be?
















A friend just asked me this, and it was a fun one to answer. So, if you'll indulge me for a moment (and please don't hold me too it - "Half of what I say is meaningless..."):

My work ranges from hip-hop with sampling (say Tone Lōc borrowing from Wings' Band on the Run, as on his 1988 album Lōced After Dark), to a more minimalist ambient electronica, like Eno's Thursday Afternoon.

However, if I had to pick one artist as an analog for my entire oeuvre, I would (rather self-aggrandizingly, I fear) go with the Beatles, from Rubber Soul on. The humor is there, and the pop sensibility, along with an openness to influences and borrowings; in the Beatles case, from orchestral baroque and Victorian circus, to stripped-down western ballad, to birdsong; always branded with that essential Beatles tunefulness. One album? The white album.

Others might not see my work this way. So perhaps a touch of hubris or wishful thinking on my part. ...Come to think of it, Brian Eno might be closer to the truth.

What about your work? Who's music would it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment